- The DC Department Convention was held June 2-3, 2017 at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling. See photos here: DC Department Convention Luncheon, June 3, 2017.
- The National Commander's Luncheon was held on Feb. 25, 2017, at the Bolling officer's club at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling. National Commander Charles E. Schmidt spoke and was joined by distinguished guest Army Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Julius Becton, Jr.
- Charles E. Schmidt, National Commander of The American Legion, spoke at a National Press Club Newsmaker on Feb. 22nd, 2017. He outlined actions The American Legion would like to see President Trump and the new Congress take to improve the delivery of benefits promised to the nation's more than 20 million veterans.
- The Department conducted its annual high school scholarship oratorical contest on Feb. 18, 2017 at the Women in Military Service for America Memorial at the entrance to Arlington National Cemetery. Scholarship winners were Ayelet Drazen from Woodrow Wilson High School, $1,500; Frederick Horne from St. Albans School, $1,000, and Julian Urbina, Benjamin Banneker Academic High School, $500.
- The next American Legion national convention will be held in Reno, Nevada, Aug. 18- 24, 2017, at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center.
National Commander Charles E. Schmidt